So here is another one of my 'healthy posts'. You are probably wondering how on earth tacos can be healthy but the idea of my posts lately is to put a healthy spin on a classic comfort dish like these tacos or the creamy carbonara I posted a while back, by eliminating just one or two of the 'bad' ingredients of the dish or eating it with a nice green side salad to fill you up for longer!
So my mum and I recently bought some ingredients for a few Weight Watchers recipes including these tacos, a tasty pork mince and vegetable stir fry, a creamy tuna and vegetable mornay bake and I should soon enough be posting a lovely salmon patty recipe from the Dietitian at my Mums work!
Click on the cut to see the recipe and more photos :)
Not much to report on with this recipe really! I made separate little dish of condiments for me minus the coriander as for some strange reason have really, really gone off the taste to preferred to have my tacos coriander free!
If you are on Weight Watchers this recipe is 9 ProPoints per serve which is equal to two tacos. Or if you would rather have soft shell flour tortillas instead, this recipe is 10 ProPoints per serve (two wraps).
- 1/2 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 300g extra lean beef mince
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 300g can of red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 x 14g Stand 'n Stuff Taco Shells
- 1 small avacado
- 1 tbs lime juice
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1 large ripe tomato, finely chopped
- 1/4 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 long fresh red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tbs light sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan- forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Lightly spray a large non- stick frying pan with oil and heat over medium- high heat.
Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2- 3 minutes or until softened. Add mince and cook, breaking up lumps, for 3- 5 minutes or until browned. Add spices and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add paste, beans and 1/2 cup (125ml) of water and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
2. Place taco shells on prepared tray and bake for 5 minutes or until crisp. To make guacamole mash avocado in a small bowl with a fork until almost smooth. Stir in lime juice and half the coriander. To make salsa cruda, combine tomato, onion, chilli and remaining coriander in a small bowl.
3. Place mince, guacamole, salsa cruda and sour cream in 4 bowls on a platter with heated taco shells and you're ready to eat!
The guacamole, salsa cruda and sour cream ready to go!
The guacamole with mashed avocado, lime juice and coriander.
The salsa cruda with chopped tomatoes, red onion, chilli and coriander.
The taco mince with lots of onions and kidney beans.
Ready to eat! :)